The fudgiest and the chunkiest Rocky Road Ice Cream you will ever have, guaranteed.
My wonderful Director of Restaurant’s has found another glorious job at another wonderful hotel just down the street but I wanted to surprise him on his last day with his favorite ice cream.
“Rocky Road but not with any of that marshmallow goo, I like the chunks of actual marshmallows.”
YOU GOT IT BUD.
I used only bittersweet and dark chocolate in this recipe which resulted in ice cream that was borderline fudge. No complaints here. I brought the quart of this ice cream to work the same day as the Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts so everyone went ahead and stuffed those bad boys with this ice cream.
For a little less richness, you can cut out 1-2 egg yolks and stick to semi sweet chocolate so you and your ice cream eaters can get through more than a few spoonfuls without needing a serious glass of milk.
Also- if anyone happens to have any tricks to help make my pictures of Rocky Road Ice Cream look less like poop, please, let me know.
Recipe adapted from The Perfect Scoop – Chocolate Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
3 tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
5 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Let’s Make It:
- Warm 1 cup of cream and cocoa powder in a saucepan, whisking to blend in cocoa powder
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to let sit at a low boil for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate.
- Add in the other 1 cup of cream and stir until thoroughly combine.
- Pour mixture into large bowl and place mesh strainer on top, set aside.
- Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- In a separate bowl to the side, whisk together your egg yolks until pale yellow.
- Once the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm, temper in your egg yolks.
- Keep mixture moving on medium heat until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Quickly pour through the mesh strainer into the chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract and chill until cold.
- Freeze in your ice cream machine to manufacturer’s instructions.
- With 2 minutes left churning, add in your chopped almonds, mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
- Freeze overnight and enjoy!