The Girl Scout’s Thin Mint cookie is 100% a favorite of mine but in order to save myself from housing 3 boxes a day, I decided to forgo ordering any this year.
BUT THE CRAVINGS ARE STILL VERY REAL. And you’ve all been asking for a Thin Mint Ice Cream for forever so it’s about time I got on that.
The true inspiration for this recipe was due to my overflowing pantry of leftover add ins and things from the ghosts of recipes past and I really needed to start getting creative to get rid of some of this stuff.
I had 2 1/2 boxes of Andes Mints (it was originally 3 boxes but ya gurl can’t help herself) and I figured that would be the perfect start to some kind of minty creation.
Andes Mint Chocolate Ice Cream + Crunchy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies = The best Copy-Cat Thin Mint Ice Cream.
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
5 ounces Andes Mints (about 1 1/4 packages)
2/3 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups crushed Crunchy Double Chocolate Cookies (about 6 cookies)
LET’S MAKE IT:
- Warm 1 cup of the cream and cocoa powder on medium heat, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil and let simmer for about 30 seconds (still whisking)
- Remove from heat and add in the Andes Mints, stirring until smooth
- Mix in your remaining cup of cream and pour into a bowl with a mesh strainer on top and set aside
- In a medium saucepan, warm your milk, sugar and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your egg yolks
- Once scalding and all your sugar is melted, temper your egg yolks into your milk/sugar mixture
- Cook the custard on low while continuously stirring slowly until the mixture thickens and reaches napé
- Pour the custard through the mesh strainer and into the chocolate/cream mixture and stir to combine
- Stir in the vanilla and peppermint extract and place over an ice bath on in the refrigerator until cold
- Freeze to your ice cream machine’s instructions adding in your cookie crumbles with roughly 3 minutes left of mixing
- Freeze overnight and enjoy!