You guys went absolutely NUTS when I posted this on Instagram (@theicescreamqueen)!! Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough is definitely one of the most requested flavors, which makes sense because (fun fact) it’s one of the top five favorite flavors in the US!JUMP TO RECIPE!
A traditional sweet cream base with homemade, eggless chunks of chocolate chip cookie dough realllyyyyyy hits the spot.
It’s a beautiful classic that everyone should have a recipe to in their back pocket. And now you have one.
A big tip when making this recipe – don’t make the cookie dough chunks too big!! I know this seems very obvious but make them smaller than you feel is normal and I promise it will be perfect. Otherwise, you’ll be chewing a mouthful of cookie dough – which isn’t a terrible thing, but you miss the intended experience of the ice cream.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- 5 tbsp butter melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Sweet Cream Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix until combine.
- Spread flat on a sheet tray or roll into a log, cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for about an hour. (This will make it easier to cut/roll into chunks).
- Remove from freezer and cut into pea-sized pieces.
Sweet Cream Ice Cream
- Place 1 cup of heavy cream in a bowl with a mesh strainer on top and set aside.
- Heat the remaining cup of cream, milk, sugar and salt in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved and the liquid is scalding hot, not boiling.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Temper the egg yolks into the milk mixture but slowly pour a small amount into the egg yolks while whisking vigorously. Then, pour the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan while continuously stirring.
- While continuously stirring gently, cook the custard on low heat until thick enough to coat the back of your wooden spoon.
- Pour through the mesh strainer into the cream and add the vanilla.
- Mix until combine and chill thoroughly. (4 hours or overnight)
- Churn to your ice cream machine's instructions.
- With a few minutes left to go, add in the cookie dough pieces and mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze overnight.