Anyone else feel like the universe should give out awards each time you make it through a month of 2020?
“Congratulations! You’ve completed Phase 11 of the Shittiest Year on Earth Challenge! With the BONUS mini-challenge courses of Thanksgiving-Without-Your-Family, Seasonal-Depression and The-Loss-Of-Alex-Trebek! Way to go!“
Coming up in Phase 12 of the SYOE Challenge, we have:
December is the baking world’s Super Bowl season and if anything is going to get us through the season finale of this year, it’s dessert.
I’m turning one of my favorite – and honestly underrated – cookies into ice cream! I’m talking about the Pistachio-Cranberry Biscotti! The almond-nuttiness from the pistachios paired with the tart bursts of fruity flavor from the cranberries makes the perfect holiday combo.
I also love this recipe, this cookie, this combo, because it’s not the obvious, over-played holiday flavors of peppermint, gingerbread, etc. (Don’t get me wrong, I have some of those recipes on the way, but it’s nice to mix it up a bit!)
Many more holiday inspired recipes to come! Including something fun for Hannukah next week!
Make sure you’re following me on Instagram so you never miss a post (or an IG story rant)
Pistachio Cranberry Ice Cream
- 1 cup pistachios toasted, unsalted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 drops green food coloring optional
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries chopped
- Toast pistachios until fragrant – about 5 minutes @ 350F.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the sugar, milk and 1 cup of cream until the sugar is melted and the liquid is scalding but not boiling.
- Add in about 3/4 of the warm, toasted pistachios (saving the remainder), cover and steep for 30 mins to an hour.
- Rewarm the liquid and temper in your egg yolks by slowly pouring a small stream of hot liquid into the egg yolks with vigorously whisking. Then pour the combine liquid back into the saucepan and cook on low while stirring gently.
- Cook until the mixture thickens then strain through a mesh strainer into a bowl with the remaining 1 cup of cream.
- Add in the almond extract and food coloring and stir to combine.
- Chill completely (4 hours or overnight) and freeze to your ice cream machine's instructions.
- With about 3 minutes left to churn, add in the remaining toasted pistachios and chopped dried cranberries to the ice cream.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container, freeze over night and enjoy!